Wednesday, October 29, 2008

The new weapon of mass destruction

Forget nuclear weapon, forget antimatter bomb, forget even the black hole producing LHC, we have a new weapon of mass destruction one that as laid hidden for untold generation: PEANUTS! Yes this immensely powerfull allergent can kill an allergic person if she hears that someone knows a person that has one though he had seens someones that knew a third person that might have seens someone actually eat something that can within a lightyear of a peanut. Take that Shadow planet killer from Babylon 5 your power is just dwarfed by the amazing peanut.

Now, you might wonder why in the hell am I ranting about peanuts. Well, it because it seems our society has reached a level of idocy that can only be a prelude to total intellectual extinction. You know that peanut product have been ban in school in Quebec right? Well, school official are now asking parents to be carefull not to feed their children product with peanuts butter or peanuts before they go to school. Yes the justification for this is that allergic reactions to peanuts are so strong that if someone that had eaten the peanuty stuff for breakfast were to touch someone that is allergic there is a very good chance the allergic person would die. The stupid it burns!

Even if nuts allergies are amounts the most dangerous food allergies that we know, they actually require the person to be in contact with the allergen. Otherwise I’m sorry but the genes brining those allergic reactions would have removed themselves from the population long ago. Also, why are we not asking the people that are allergic to have with them the proper medication for any allergic reaction that might happen? And insure that the public institution they attend have on hand the correct medication to react appropriately in case of a severe reaction. I really don’t understand why we stop the vast majority of children from enjoying nuts and all those stuff because of the 1% that suffer from it.

Think about it when I was in high school we about 800 students, which mean that only about 8 persons where allergic to various degrees to peanuts. Since I did not know everyone chances are that I never came into contact with anyone that is really allergic (ok, that false I knew that one of my friend was allergic, still I’ve eaten peanut butter in his presence and he still alive, no sign of any reaction). Now these day, the school has to make sure that nothing it serve is contaminated by peanuts and that the other children do not bring any peanut product in the school. Come on for about 10 peoples that have a condition that is preventable, treatable and for which we have very efficient medecine, 800 need to change their diet!

The moral of this is simple, if you are allergic to anything, make sure you have the correct medication with you and know how to use it in case of a dangerous reaction. Don’t expect the universe to protect you from your allergen, it won’t.

3 comments:

yofed said...

I LOVE YOU!!!!!!!

I am very fed up with parents of allergic kids who rely on other people not having peanuts, rather than educating their children about hand washing, their meds, etc. I agree all schools should get their teachers "trained" to use an epipen, but there are limits to everything.

The idiocy is not just in Quebec, in other places in Canada, kids cannot bring baked good from home. They have to be from the store, with a label saying nut free on it. I wish I could tell you where it is, I can't remember, but it is ridiculous!

When my boy had a suppressed immune system, I didn't ask other people to adapt to our situation, we adapted to it. If your kids are SOOOOOOO allergic and you are SOOOOOOO worried about it, homeschool them. Period. I don't believe the whole population should suffer for a few.

anyflower said...

As a nurse I have to add a boring comment: if you can smell it, you are in contact with it... Some people are so allergic to peanuts that even the smell of the product can launch an allergic reaction! I find that hard to believe but it has been documented. Also, people who are allergic tend to have more and more severe anaphylaxis with each exposure to the allergen.

That being said, I am a huge peanut lover and have eaten those since age 2 (my mother didn't care about those warnings I guess). I am deeply sorry for people who have allergies to them but honestly, I have to share your point of view and say that epipens have to be carried everywhere and all staff at school should know how to use them. We still never wish for those kids to be exposed to the allergen but at the same time, I can't help but think the measures taken by schools are being pushed too far. Maybe it is by fear of law suits? Anyhow I am sure that those allergic kids and their parents would rave if a cure was to be found but apparently, we are nowhere near a solution.

yofed said...

It seems that part of the increase in allergies is due to our over protection of the litte ones, by keeping everything germ free (and peanut free).... And I would not be surprised a minute that if we keep putting our children in bubbles, after a few generations, they are going to be really messed up.

It's funny how there fewer allergies in areas where people are poor and hygiene is neglected, to a point!