Tuesday, December 18, 2007

First Campaign Character Death

Yesterday in my weekly game, I had my first character death. The poor Forest Dwarven Cleric of VILEM died when the jaws of a giant crocodile snapped shut and tore is body in two. The critical hit brought the poor little cleric from the positive hit points far into the bloody pulpish negative bellow minus constitution score level. Luckily the rest of the party managed to kill the offending Crocodile (thanks in no small part to the fact that it was devouring said dwarf cadaver) and his retinue of smaller friends.

This marked the first PC death of this campaign world and one if not the first PC death at one of my table. Not that I usually protect pc from death but it never came up before. I must say it was quite interesting to see the other player suddenly realize that this little almost random encounter could turn deadly. They regrouped, though about fleeing the scene as they where almost out of three important resources: hit point, spell and power points and finally decided that they needed to bring the remains of their fallen comrade for a proper burial. A scene I was not really prepared for (the encounter shouldn’t have been deadly, but they were tired and low on spell) but that was nonetheless interesting. So fare well Hanzel Pointepercante, I hope VILEM’s haven is what you where looking for.

No comments: