Thursday, September 06, 2007

I wonder about Canadian schools



A friend of mine just sent me this vide talking about the problem of american public schools. We are not talking about the college level school there but primary education. And it makes me wonder how far, above (or below) we are compared to them. The reforms in Quebec of the public school system seems to be sending us the way the us are going (or were going) and this is frankly scaring the hell out of me. For an added scare go look at this post (in french) about something that apparently happened in a Quebec school.

4 comments:

yofed said...

Nothing surprised me in the video or website you linked to. My man was one of those "left behind". Teachers kept passing him even if he could barely write and spell. One day, in middle or high school, a teacher read a few pages out of "The Hobbit", so he decided to learn to read. Scary, but true. His spelling is still atrocious, but we work on it now and then.

It is well known here that the French school are much better tan English schools (in Halifax anyway), but the French schools are worse than those in Quebec. I looked into private schools... Sacred Heart Catholic School is almost 9000$ a year, and Halifax Independant School almost 7000$. A little more expensive then what is it in Quebec, isnt it? Even more expensive than University!

yofed said...

More funny, I read an article on that subject this morning... I'll try to find th article on the net if I can!

yofed said...

http://www.hfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=60457&sc=89

anyflower said...

Wow, that was so interesting (read dramatic too) that I watched the whole show. When I see that, I totally understand why Yofed wants to homeschool or why she is considering private schools. That's one of the reasons why I am so scared of having children! You can educate them well but they can become so spoiled at school, it's unbelievable. I don't know... I love kids but I sometimes hope I will not be able to conceive any to save some huge problems of parenting while not refusing to have kids... cause I love them so much and I would be a terrific mom!