Thursday, July 26, 2007

A safety blanket

After reading Yofed's post about the nature of god I decided to post one of a similar nature. I believe most of you already have an idea of the nature of the post from the title and the first line but before I begin I want to say that that my vision of god is not extended to the people that believe in god. So to begin:

To me god is a safety blanket, early in life a child believe that it grant him protection and safety. He integrate it in all aspect of life and use it as a confidant, a protector. The safety blanket grand him supper power in his game, it makes him a super hero when he really believe, it hide him from the eyes of the world when he wants to be alone. Having a blanket to protect himself, confide in , comfort him downs,t make sense for the adult but to the child it is the most logical thing in the world. He will throw tantrum when his world view is disputed, he will refuse to eat, sleep or do most thing without his blanket. He believes that no matter what happen the blanket will be there to protect him and save him from harm. He takes other kids and adult humoring his fantasy as sign of the power of the blanket to hide and protect him.

But in the end the child must grow up and leave the fantasy of the blanket protection. It is actually harmful to his development to keep it beyond his childhood. The belief that the blanket can make him fly might kill him when he tries it for real. The blanket has no special power to hide him and no special wisdom to impart to the child now adult, it is just in the end a blanket given power by the imagination of a child. The blanket like god is a safety net a way to fell safe in a world that makes little senses to give senses to that world. It can do miracle, it knows all, it talks to you and accept you exactly like you are, in short it is the perfect friend. A perfect illusion that help you fell safe, protected, loved but in the end an illusion.

The idea for this post came to me when I thought about a quote from Konstatin Tsiolkovsky the theoretical father of rocketry: "Earth is the cradle of humanity, but one cannot remain in the cradle forever." The child analogy struck me as very fitting for the form of god.

4 comments:

yofed said...

Wouldn't the imaginary friend been a better analogy?

asaathi said...

I would say no, because the imaginary friend isn't rooted in reality, he cannot do anything. You can run with your imaginary friend but only the blanket can make you think your running so fast you are flying. The belief in god as real impact on the world and that makes it closer to the safety blanket in my mind the the imaginary friend. Beside the imaginary friend analogy for god as been overused.

yofed said...

I never had an imaginary friend or a blankie, so I can't really relate....

anyflower said...

Ok, time for interesting reading for you all, including you Asaathi. The book I am currently reading, Conversations with God by Neale Walsh is interestingly in the middle of both your views: it presents a god that is neither a blankie or a superhero protector. It's a cheap book in the paperback version (11,25$ at my bookstore for tome I). Even if you don't believe the events decribed in the book have happened, the view of God presented there is refreshing and corresponds alot more to what my beliefs are (from what I read of it up to now).