Tuesday, May 24, 2005

Friends

I recently learned that someone I considered a friend did not yet consider me one (that has apparently changed since them but still) and that made me question myself on the meaning of friendship. Do both side have to say they are friend for a true friendship to devellop? what is a true friendship anyway? What are the criteria for a true friendship. Is it when you tell each other secrets? When you are willing to tell a lie for each other? Just when you are very confortable with the person? Can you really make a line where a person on one side of the line is a friend on the other side he is not?

Personally I don't think so. In fact I think that the "line" between friends and aquintance is vague and change for each person you are in contact with. You know with person one you might be friend when you are confortable with him/her but another you would never consider yourself friend with him/her. It lacks a small subtle thing that I could never point out. Am I the only one like that? Do you have clear lines for friends and aquintance? well that my first question for the day.

3 comments:

apelleri said...

Well, good question. I think there are several levels of friendship, depending on the kind of activities (and conversations, as you said) you are ready to do with them. However, it doesn't mean that you have to share *everything* even with a very good friend.

yofed said...

To me, you are a friendly aquaintance.... we haven't actually met often, but you've always been nice to me, you cheer me up and I enjoy our conversations. It's enough for me to call you a friend.

anyflower said...

As Apelleri said, there are several levels of attachment. I would say that confidence has a lot to play in attachment/ friendship. There again, some people put their confidence more easily in other people. Education has a big role to play there too. Some people are used to rely on themselves and others tend to look for friendships, they like to socialize better. That may be why some relations may not be considered to be on the same level.